April 9, 2010

Pasalubong Shopping in Baguio Public Market

Squeezed in a quick detour to the Baguio Public Market to buy my usual pasalubong stuff for my girls. For more than 3 years now, I have a suki stall where I go. (I wanted to take her picture beside her stall but she refused.)


Here are my purchases:

cornic, Php 35 per bag or 3 for Php 100


chocolate crinkles, Php 35 per pack (1 dozen) or 3 for Php 100


chocolate flakes, Php 60 each


lengua de gato, Php 80 each


honey, Php 150 per bottle


When in Baguio, the usual pasalubong fare, aside from fresh strawberries, vegetables and flowers, are the Romana's peanut brittle, strawberry jam and Good Shepherd ube. I also recommend the Sagada oranges which are usually sold at Php 80 per kilo (about 2-3 pieces). Various flavored sausages can also be brought home as pasalubong. The usual 'flavors' are garlic, hamonado and Vigan-style. Handicrafts and woodcrafts are also favorite souvenir items. Some hoard Ilocos-made blankets.

The Baguio public market is a favorite one-stop area for souvenir and pasalubong shopping. The dry goods section is relatively clean and devoid of smell. A personal pet-peeve though are the local kids pestering tourists to buy their plastic bags or sack bags. Some even offer their service to carry your bags for a minimal fee. My suki also tipped me off about pickpockets and she advised me to place my bag in front of my body.

Going to the Baguio Public Market is an experience one shouldn't miss. There's a certain thrill in getting good finds at bargain prices (compared to that of Manila) offered by this market.




1 comment:

i♥pinkc00kies said...

we'd always buy choco flakes, peanut brittle, ube jam & strawberry jam! :D