July 2, 2010

"This Too Shall Pass"


I first heard this line from the movie, My Best Friend's Wedding. It was in that scene in the hotel corridor when Jules (Julia Roberts' character) was smoking and a bellman walked up to her, told her that she was on a non-smoking floor. Jules then offered the bellman the cigarette and seeing that sad face, he obliged by puffing on her cigarette. Before leaving, he then delivered this line: 

"My grandmother always said, 'This too, shall pass.'"

I tried to Google this line, as I wanted to know who its original author was. Instead,  I stumbled upon this poem which I would now like to share:


This Too Shall Pass
Helen Steiner Rice

If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be-

If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone else seems to doubt me-

If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning
And that this will pass away, too-

Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening
For I know God will break all of the chains

That are binding me tight in the darkness
And trying to fill me with fear-
For there is no night without dawning
And I know that my morning is near.


No comments: